So I kind of cheated with this one..
But it was only because this mix alone cost about 4 dollars and that was the cheap version for these cupcakes!
It was already going to be a pricey dessert due to the fresh strawberries ranging from 3 to 5 dollars…
Talking about breaking the bank…
So this was a fairly east recipe due to the lack of extra mixing.
For those who are thinking of replicating this recipe, any gluten free cake mix will do and just follow the recipe on the box…
Of course I did make some substitutions with the butter and eggs.
Semi-Homemade Gluten Free Strawberry Vanilla Cupcake
** Follow amounts on box!**
Applesauce (in place of butter)
**Yields about 24-30 cupcakes
Typically when you make cupcakes, you preheat the oven to either 350 degrees or 325 degrees depending on your oven and cupcake pan type.
Plop in the empty cupcake wrappers and lets begin!
1. Dump the box into a medium to large mixing bowl.
2. Add vanilla, applesauce, and eggs.
3. Stir it up until its all nice a smooooth.
Check it out, a whisk! O the joys of baking at my parents’ house…
4. Using a scooper or sturdy spoon, pour enough batter to cover only half of what you consider to be a full serving into the cupcake wrapper.
5. Next slice up the strawberries…depending on the size you can use halves or quarter sized pieces…and place one piece into each cupcake wrapper.
6. Next pour more batter over top covering most of the strawberry…you will need to make sure you have enough batter to do this to all of the cupcakes.
7. Now they are ready to be popped into the oven for about 18-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if done.
8. Once the toothpick comes out clean, yank them out and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before moving them from the pan to a plate.
9. Next is the frosting!! After about 20 minutes to a half an hour, cutting a hole in a plastic sandwich bag, I frosted them with my sister’s amazing homemade strawberry frosting.
….Unfortunately I forget to ask what the recipe was, but at least they came out delicious.
10. Because these cupcakes were for my niece’s 6th birthday party, I decided to stick with the pink zebra theme (which is my most favoritest animal by the way) by melting 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate and just drizzling it over top for some nice stripes.
Yes they do kinda look like spots, but I did not say I was a professional cake decorator…
Overall, these were a scrumptious alternative for my cousin with celiac disease and for anyone else who had enough room for more dessert.
**One thing I did notice though was that it was difficult to get the cupcake out of the wrapper. My sister said it was because of the strawberries, so I recommend using gluten free flour to dust the berries before you plop them into the cupcake to prevent goopiness…
Hope you enjoyed this one!