So at first I was against the whole cake pop craze and to be honest my mouth was not thrilled about the way they tasted.
Alot of times they ended up being soggy and kinda gross.
Fortunately for me, I found this fantastic blog, Divas Can Cook, that explained how to make cake pops flawlessly.
It was, however, a last minute decision that was brought on by the stress of finals week.
I needed to bake something to keep my mind off the fact that I was taking my last final exam ever, graduating at the end of the week, and coming to the realization that I need to find a job…
So I made this recipe up out of a culmination of three recipes.
Now I do want to clarify that in my haste to bake something before I was whisked away to my final test, I could not find 100% vegan dark chocolate.
So for those who are strict vegans, make sure you get the type of dark chocolate you are most comfortable with eating because believe it or not, most dark chocolate contains small amounts of dairy products.
That being said, I will break done the recipe into 3 parts:
Making the cake pops
**This recipe yields 20-26 cake pops**
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan.
2. In a bowl combine sugar, vegetable oil, and applesauce.
3. Add in the mashed banana, then stir in the vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
5. Place dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
6. Stir in the milk.
7. Pour batter into cake pan.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
9. Once the cake is done, give it about 10-15 minutes to cool.
While its cooling make up the icing.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp mint extract (to taste)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
1. Combine powdered sugar, mint extract, and almond milk together in a bowl.
Now that you have both your icing and cake ready, here is the cake pop making process.
To see a video on how to make them, check out Divas Can Cook:
- 2 king sized bars of dark chocolate (total of about 4oz)
- 20-26 sticks (I used bamboo skewers I got from the dollar store and cut them in half.)
- wax paper
1. Melt your dark chocolate in the microwave, preferably in a cup.
2.Place cake into a bowl and crumble it into a fine consistency.
3. Hand mix in the icing gradually until the cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yet still slightly crumbly. (may not need all of the icing)
4. Using your hands, shape the mixture into something that resembles a ball and place onto a wax papered surface.
5. Once you have all the balls made, dip your sticks into the chocolate before sticking them half way into the cake balls.
6. Allow them to freeze for 20 minutes.
7. After allowing them to set in the freezer, submerge cake balls into the chocolate.
8. If you have Styrofoam to stand the cake pops in place them there, if not just set them down on wax paper.
9. Leave them out or put them back into the freezer to set up again.
10. Keep them stored in an airtight container.